Saturday, March 9, 2013

I am Still Working

For those of you in the 9:15 class,  I have not forgotten about you.  I'm still working on cover forms and  scanning essays.  I have a stack ready to send out now, and there will be more tonight and probably some tomorrow early.

I really hope that, after you see the amount of commenting, you will understand why this is such a time consuming process.  I also want to assure you that all of my time (after work commitments) over the past week has been devoted to working on this.

In the meantime, you should NOT be waiting for comments.  You can be working on revision plans.  In terms of revision, I would suggest working in the following areas:

1.  Documentation:  Many of you have problems in your works cited.  Many more of you have in text citations that are not corresponding with your works cited.

2.  Completion:  If you gave me a draft that is unfinished, for heaven's sake, FINISH IT.

3.  Research:  If you have paragraphs that are missing information or research, work on finding what you need to complete and fully develop those paragraphs.

4.  Making corrections based on the comments you were given on half drafts--most of you had NOT made those corrections by the time you turned in rough drafts.  There are things in those comments that you can use to begin revision on the fully finished draft.

5.  Proofreading:  Many of you could REALLY benefit from reading your draft aloud, or having someone else read it to you.  Almost all of you have severe comma use issues.  If this is the case for you, please be advised that I don't correct them all in your draft.  You need to review comma use rules (use Rules for Writers) and find the errors in your own work.

If you have specific questions, it would be smart to begin a list to ask me about.  You can, and should, be doing this as you revise.

Please do not make the mistake of thinking that I am going to be "fixing" your drafts for you.  You are going to get a ton of feedback from me, but a lot of that feedback will be reminding you about what it is that you need to do on your own.

The point is, there is a lot that you can take responsibility for.  Please do that.  Don't sit on your hands and wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment